ISM Executive Consultant and Governance and Finance Department Head
Terry has been with ISM since 2002. He recently completed a three-year assignment at St. Mary’s School, California, where he served as the Head of Finance, Operations, and Advancement. During that assignment, he continued to consult for ISM.
Terry works with schools in the areas of:
- strategic planning/strategic financial planning;
- Strategic Performance Analysis (full-school assessment);
- effective school operations;
- fundraising; faculty evaluation and compensation; and
- financial aid.
He has served more than 200 schools onsite since 2002, with many school leaders returning for additional advice year after year.
- acts as a senior writer for ISM’s publications, including Ideas & Perspectives;
- created the ISM FAST program (ISM’s cutting-edge financial aid tool);
- speaks at various conferences, including NBOA, NYSAIS, CAIS, FISBO, and AISNE; and
- leads ISM workshops and webinars.
Terry has over 30 years of experience in both the profit and not-for-profit sectors. He has expertise in all school financial matters, along with operations, safety and security, marketing, and fundraising. Because of the specialized niche of independent schools, he enjoys helping schools explore their mission statement articulation.
Terry’s professional experience includes work at two independent schools. In addition to St. Mary’s School, Terry was also at Trinity Academy of Raleigh, North Carolina, where he was a founder and served on the Board of Directors for six years, after which he was asked to become the Director of Administrative Services.
Additionally, Terry has served on the Board of several nonprofits and the vestry of two Episcopal churches. He earned a bachelor’s degree. from East Carolina University, North Carolina, and has done graduate work in finance at Regis University, Colorado. He earned the Executive designation through ISM’s Business Certification Program.
In his spare time, he is an accomplished organist and an avid antique collector.