ISM Consultant and Executive Director of Organizational Learning and Development
Barbara joined ISM in 2011 after working in the field of education since 1996. Her areas of expertise include employee development and culture, organizational systems, academic leadership, faculty evaluation, student-centered and brain-based pedagogies, mission identity, survey design, and data analysis.
In this role, Barbara:
- consults, writes for Ideas & Perspectives, co-authors books, and conducts webinars in her areas of expertise;
- facilitates workshops, such as ISM’s Engaging Students in Any Length Period, Support Student Success with Faculty Growth and Evaluation, and Transformative Academic Leadership;
- provides one-on-one leadership coaching to academic administrators;
- facilitates Board and school leadership retreats;
- conducts school survey data presentations for school constituencies;
- presents at national and regional association conferences; and
- coordinates growth and leadership development programs for ISM employees.
Before her tenure at ISM, Barbara served as an adult literacy teacher at Boston University, Massachusetts; an upper school modern language teacher at the MacDuffie School, Massachusetts; and a language teacher and lead advisor at Collegiate School, Virginia. She also served as Academic Dean at Cape Henry Collegiate School, Virginia, where she oversaw curriculum and professional growth in grades PreK−12.
While enrolled at Shady Side Academy in Pittsburgh, Barbara attended a year of high school in France through School Year Abroad. She later lived in Spain and Brazil, where she learned Spanish and Portuguese.
Barbara holds a bachelor’s degree in French and Spanish from Trinity College, Connecticut; a master’s degree in applied linguistics from Boston University, Massachusetts; a master’s degree in educational administration from Harvard University, Massachusetts; and a master’s degree in independent school leadership from the Klingenstein Center at Teachers College, Columbia University, New York.
Her personal professional mission statement: For all beings to cherish their lives and be seen, heard, and valued.